Sunday, December 9, 2012

Snowy Sunday Sled

It's a balmy 10 degrees outside. That's right 10! And snowy! I suppose, living in Colorado, I really should expect snow in Decemeber,but, it always catches me by surprise. It's too cold to go out, so it's a great day to make something crafty.

I bought this old sled off Craigslist and it was in such bad shape, it must mean it was destined to become a Christmas decoration. I nailed one of the boards back on, and proceeded to paint it in Annie Sloan Primer Red. Now, if you have ever used ASCP in Primer Red, you probably get a little freaked out when you start slapping it on. It comes out looking something like a Scandanavian salmon, but just be patient. When it dries, it is this amazing dark, schoolhouse red. Next, I found some great stencils at Hobby Lobby. (Half price! Yippee!) I used two stencil packages. One is scrolly alphabet and the other was a bunch of differnt snowflakes. If you are a professional, you might tape the stencil on. I'm not. I hold them in place and very sparingly dab on ASCP in Olive for the Q, and Old White for my snowflakes. If I had taken the time to tape, I might not have had to touch up the red from where I slapped on too much white. Oh well, All's well that end's well, right? Now, again, if I wanted a professional look, I might wax over the paint, but I am going for the very rustic look, so I am going to leave it as is.

Products used: Annie Sloan Chalk Paint in: Primer Red, Olive and Old White. One old, dilapidated sled off Craigslist, and two stenicl packages from Hobby Lobby. Total cost? $25. Total time? About 30 minutes.

1 comment:

  1. Holly, your old sled turned out great! We like the combination of colors Olive and Old White stencilled on Primer Red. Thanks for sharing on our Link Party and Happy Holidays!