Sunday, December 9, 2012

Snowy Sunday Sled


It's a balmy 10 degrees outside. That's right 10! And snowy! I suppose, living in Colorado, I really should expect snow in Decemeber,but, it always catches me by surprise. It's too cold to go out, so it's a great day to make something crafty.

I bought this old sled off Craigslist and it was in such bad shape, it must mean it was destined to become a Christmas decoration. I nailed one of the boards back on, and proceeded to paint it in Annie Sloan Primer Red. Now, if you have ever used ASCP in Primer Red, you probably get a little freaked out when you start slapping it on. It comes out looking something like a Scandanavian salmon, but just be patient. When it dries, it is this amazing dark, schoolhouse red. Next, I found some great stencils at Hobby Lobby. (Half price! Yippee!) I used two stencil packages. One is scrolly alphabet and the other was a bunch of differnt snowflakes. If you are a professional, you might tape the stencil on. I'm not. I hold them in place and very sparingly dab on ASCP in Olive for the Q, and Old White for my snowflakes. If I had taken the time to tape, I might not have had to touch up the red from where I slapped on too much white. Oh well, All's well that end's well, right? Now, again, if I wanted a professional look, I might wax over the paint, but I am going for the very rustic look, so I am going to leave it as is.

Products used: Annie Sloan Chalk Paint in: Primer Red, Olive and Old White. One old, dilapidated sled off Craigslist, and two stenicl packages from Hobby Lobby. Total cost? $25. Total time? About 30 minutes.

1 comment:

  1. Holly, your old sled turned out great! We like the combination of colors Olive and Old White stencilled on Primer Red. Thanks for sharing on our Link Party and Happy Holidays!

    ReplyDelete